Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is Nepal Mountaineering Association?

Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA) is a non-governmental, non-profit and non-political organization working as a National Alpine Association of Nepal to promote mountain tourism, climbing sports, protect mountain environments and preserve and promote cultural heritage of mountain people. It is the only national alpine club authorized to issue climbing permits for 27 mountain peaks of Nepal. It was established on November 1, 1973.

2. What do you mean by NMA peaks?

NMA peaks refer to those 27 mountain peaks of Nepal for which Government of Nepal has authorized NMA to issue climbing permits. The peaks have been categorized as Group A and Group B.

3. What is the fee structure for NMA peaks?

The fee structure for NMA peak is as follows.
Group 'A' and Group 'B'
Fee structure- As shown in service charge in our website
Total Member in a group-15 Members
Garbage Deposit
Garbage Deposit for all the 27 NMA Peaks US$ 500.

4. Is permit essential to climb NMA peaks?

Yes, permit issued from NMA with authorized signature is essential to climb NMA peaks. If you are found to involve in an illegal climbing activity you can face prosecution as per the laws governing mountaineering regulation of Nepal Tourism Act - 2035 B.S. Article No. 38.

5. Who will check the permits?

We have authorized our representative at various places to check the climbing permit. Please do not hesitate to show the permit upon their request.
Our authorized representatives are as follows:
For Khumbu region
M/s. Sagarmatha Pollution Control Committee (SPCC)( Phone no: 038540057)
Contact persons:
Mr. Kapindra Rai ( Mobile no:9841555117
Mr. Nishan Shrestha ( Mobile no: 9851026850

For Mera Peak
Mingma Kulung ( Contact no: 9842809989)

For Rolwaling Region
Mount Everest Summiteers Club, Rolwaling, Dolkha
Contact person: Mr. Nurbu Sherpa

6. Does NMA have equipments for hiring? Is yes, what are their rates?

NMA has Gamow bag and Walkie Talkie as equipments for hiring. Gamow bag is charged as $ 10 per day. Walikie Talkie is charged as $ 10 per piece per week for trekking and $ 50 per piece for expedition.

7. What do I need to do to take permit for NMA peaks?

Since NMA does not directly issue permit to the climbing team, therefore, you need to contact local trekking agencies in Nepal registered as Resource Members at NMA.

8. What do I need to do to take permit for Mt. Everest?

NMA is authorized to issue permit to only 27 NMA peaks. Besides this, permits for other opened peaks are issued from Government of Nepal, Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation.

9. What are the training courses conducted by NMA?

NMA conducts annually Basic Mountaineering Course (BMC) and Advance Mountaineering Course (AMC) in the month of June and December respectively. 

10. Give more information (cost, number of trainees etc) of the courses.

The duration of both the trainings is 45 days with 15 days theory (Kathmandu) and 30 days practical (Langtang). The required number of students for the course is minimum 4 and maximum 32. The cost of per student is Rs. 15000 (BMC) and Rs. 20,000 (AMC) for Nepalese and 00 for foreigners. 00 includes food, accommodation; transportation in Nepal during training as well as in Kathmandu. The cost does not include personal clothing, equipments like boots, crampon, ice axe and medical expenses, insurance, air fare etc.

All the foreign nationals are requested to deposit 50% of the total fee in our following account to participate in the training.

Bank Transfer Account Number :
Bank : Nepal Investment Bank, Durbarmarg Branch
Account No. : 001 1689100
Swift code: NIBLNPKT
Beneficiary : Nepal Mountaineering Association

The receipt will be sent to the depositor and remaining amount can be paid after arrival in Nepal.

11. Does NMA provide other training courses also?

NMA provides other training courses as per necessary Rock Climbing, Artificial Wall  Climbing, Mountain Rescue Training, and Female Outdoor Leadership Training.

12. What is Nepal Parbat?

Nepal Parbat is a publication of NMA published to disseminate news, information of the activities carried out by NMA for the promotion of mountain tourism, mountaineering and mountain environment.

13. Does NMA have fund to look after the family of mountaineers who met with an unfortunate accident?

NMA has Mountaineering Disaster Relief and Educational Support Fund (MDRES Fund) and Welfare Committee to look after the family of mountaineers who met with an unfortunate accident. We welcome assistance from around the world for the betterment of mountaineers in cash or kind.